Volumetric masses in the thyroid gland of different nature and morphology are referred to as thyroid nodules by doctors. Thyroid nodules symptoms occur as gland starts to malfunction or if a node presses against the nearby tissues and organs. Thyroid nodules treatment may include medications, minimally invasive procedures or surgery to remove the gland completely (thyroidectomy). Below we will review in more detail nature, types of nodes, which appear in thyroid gland and symptoms they cause, as well as treatment options and diagnostics services available for this condition.
Nodules in thyroid gland are, basically, lesions which are formed in the tissues of the gland found at the base of the neck. These nodules can either be solid or filled with fluid.
THYROID NODULES SYMPTOMS
Mostly thyroid lesions are not considered to be life threatening and do not cause symptoms. However, swallowing maybe difficult if the nodule increases in size and if the nodules secrete excess levels of thyroxin ( thyroid hormone), the following maybe experienced:
- Unexplainable weight loss
- Heat intolerance
- Rapid or irregular heartbeat
THYROID NODULES TREATMENT OPTIONS
Treatment for benign nodules includes:
- Thyroid hormone suppression therapy: This therapy treatment makes use of synthetic forms of thyroxin.
- Ethanol Sclerotherapy: This treatment involves the injection of ethanol into the cystic cavity and is done over 1 to 2 sessions every 1 to 3 months.
- Thyroidectomy: This is a surgical procedure where the thyroid gland is removed from the base of the neck. In most cases, the surgeon leaves bits of thyroid tissue around the parathyroid gland to reduce the risk of parathyroid damage.
DIAGNOSING THYROID NODULES
- Fine needle aspiration: This is a biopsy procedure where a thin needle is inserted into the nodule to remove a sample tissue for testing. This procedure is carried out to distinguish between a benign and a malignant growth.
- Ultrasonography: This is an imaging test that uses high frequency sound waves to create images that help in determining the shape and the structure of the nodules.